THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN DELAYED.
From 9 January it will be impossible for vehicles to use the bridge linking Botley Road to Oxford Station. Our eyes and ears man, Dave Miles attended an event in Witney yesterday to update people affected. This is his report. Please do not take it as official news, but rather as Dave's recollections from the event.
The main measures are:
- Part of Seacourt Park and Ride is to be turned into a temporary bus station.
- In addition, a bus turning circle is going to be provided on the site of Oxford Youth Hostel and Station Grill.
- This turning circle will not see vehicles turning first left as they normally would at a roundabout but take the circle in the opposite direction. This is because they think this manoeuvre is easier. The plan is to use a bus to try all options. As it stands buses would have to cross each other's tracks to negotiate the circle.
- No more than 4 buses would be permitted at any given time. This means that as soon as a bus arrives one must leave.
- Passengers could be dropped off at the station turning circle on their normal bus but would not be permitted to board there. Instead, they would have to take the free shuttle buses to Seacourt. This means that the existing buses would run empty from the turning circle to Seacourt and the shuttle buses would only take passengers in one direction.
- Talks with Stagecoach are underway regarding diverting long-distance services such as those to Carterton, Swindon and Wantage.
- Nobody attended from the County Council or bus companies. Network Rail was open to organising an event including the bus companies as there was strong support for this.
- At the turning circle, passengers will have to use the existing path to get to the other side where another shuttle bus awaits to the City Centre. This means a trip from George Street to Botley will mean 3 buses.
- The increased number of buses on the east side of the station will turn in the same way that existing services terminating at the station do.
- There are specific closure dates for the Station but Oxford Parkway will remain open for Chiltern Trains.